WORK READY PROGRAMME
Work Ready is SupaJam’s career programme, designed to support students in developing essential skills needed for the world of work. It aims to build confidence, assisting with a smooth transition into the workplace, allowing students to progress successfully in their careers.
SupaJam have branded the programme ‘work ready’ because of the unique opportunities our students have to gain genuine industry experience alongside the delivery of general careers related topics. This programme focuses on 5 key areas to support students to improve their employability, confidence and independence and to guide and support them when moving on from SupaJam.
Employability gives students the skills needed when applying for jobs, positively supporting career progression after college. These include;
• CV writing skills
• Support with job applications
• Interview skills
• Practice interviews. Level 3 students in addition will have a mock interview with a qualified interviewer
My Career focusses on ensuring students have every opportunity to explore different careers and future pathways, supporting students to make well-informed choices that will help them achieve their ambitions. My Career activities include;
• The opportunity to speak to guest speakers from the Music Industry
• The opportunity to be part of the SupaJam Student Union, either as a year group representative or to have their opinions and views heard by a representative. One responsibility of the SU includes maintaining a careers board
• 1:1 career discussions at three points over the academic year. Level 3 students will have additional 1:1 careers and guidance
• The opportunity to complete a L2 stewarding course at Neverworld Festival over the summer for 18+ students
Stepping Forward aims to help support students to prepare for their next steps within SupaJam and beyond;
• Support around coping with exams and work load pressures
• Liaising with the Skills and Employability officer from KCC
• Helping early leavers to find alternative learning pathways
• Support with university/college/apprenticeship applications
All students at SupaJam will have involvement in all areas of managing SupaJam’s stage at the Black Deer Festival which is integrated into the curriculum.
This presents opportunities for visits from several industry professionals to work with the students in preparation for the annual festival.
Other fantastic work experience opportunities include;
• Stewarding at Neverworld festival
• Recording music at a recording studio
• Photography with a professional industry photographer
• Writing reviews for SupaJam’s music website, SupaJam.com, which received up to 500,000 viewers a day
• Other unique opportunities leading up to Black Deer such as shadowing one of the founders of the festival.
Please click the box below to find out more about SupaJam's partnership with Black Deer:
SupaJam’s SMSC (spiritual, moral, social and cultural development) programme is designed to equip students with the necessary skills, knowledge and confidence to take on adult life in the working world. Please see the link below to find out more:
SupaJam is committed to embedding the Gatsby benchmark of good careers guidance to include:
• A stable careers programme
• Learning from career and labour market information
• Addressing the needs of each student
• Linking curriculum learning to careers
• Encounters with employers and employees
• Experiences of workplaces
• Encounters with Further and Higher Education
• Personal guidance.
SupaJam’s Careers Programme is reviewed and updated on an annual basis. The next review will take place in July 2019.
For further information on SupaJam’s Work Ready programme, please get in touch by us using the contact box below or speak to Stef Hallett our Careers Lead.